Jan 13, 2010

RIP Jay Reatard

Yaah it's true. I'm saddened and shocked to hear of Jay's death. He was a fantastic musician and one of the great 90's underground punk kings. He was super nice to me when I met him before his last Toronto show a few months ago. I was there to take some photos and steal some beer, and he kindly allowed me both things. Apart from being stealthily witty and sharp tongued, he was quiet and down to earth. He gave the tech guys at Holy Joe's hell for being rude to me. Good guy.

Few details are known about the actual cause of death, but it's been said that he was suffering flu like symptoms, and died in his sleep. 29 year old dudes don't just die in their sleep. Apparently Memphis homicide has been called into investigate the cause of his death. Hopefully more details will surface soon.

I was really looking forward to hanging out with that guy at SXSW this year. What a Shame.

I'm playing a shit load of Lost Sounds and Blood Visions back to back with a few joints in his memory...